Did you know that I went to Lincoln Christian College? I graduated with a Bachelor’s in BiVocational Missions and a certificate in TESOL. Those things are linked because most people don’t know what either one of those are.
Anyway, I bring this up because I am still very theologically dumb. I realize this every time I teach Children’s Church. I am amazed at how little I know and thankful that I am in a situation where I am forced to learn it! Take the Christmas story, for instance…I had NO idea it took the Wise Men 2 years to get to Jesus. My nativity set makes it very clear that the Wise Men had super powers-they obviously teleported from miles away to get to Jesus before he outgrew his saddleme blankets. But when I actually pay attention to the Bible, I instead am forced to imagine in my mind a little two-year-old boy running hysterically around the house, taking everything out of the cabinets, and ripping up important documents (Lara has been made in His image, after all). And I can’t help smiling at the thought of however many Wise Men kneeling in wonder at such a King (aka hyperactive toddler, as Mary pulls her hair out in the background, wondering why the Magi didn’t call first, and does she have enough food for supper?). And, no, Mary probably didn’t know.
This is what Christmas is all about, but I now I am seeing things from a different perspective. From the mother’s perspective. And not that I am trying to compare Lara to Jesus (haha), but there’s a great deal more reality there than there was before.
Silly nativity set. I bet that angel wasn’t really wearing a yellow dress and I am definitely sure the camel wasn’t smiling.
This is what Christmas is all about, but I now I am seeing things from a different perspective. From the mother’s perspective. And not that I am trying to compare Lara to Jesus (haha), but there’s a great deal more reality there than there was before.
Silly nativity set. I bet that angel wasn’t really wearing a yellow dress and I am definitely sure the camel wasn’t smiling.
***
I leave you with Lara's Angelina Jolie impression.
No comments:
Post a Comment