Monday, January 12, 2009

potty-training...not an impossibility

I mentioned recently that my new method with Lara is to put her in panties until she hates to get them wet so much that she will eventually use the potty. I spent a morning recently just constantly asking, "Do you need to use the potty?" and putting her on the toilet several times throughout the morning. It was one of the most exhausting mornings.

I went through the process again this evening. At one point I was laying on the floor, half in the bathroom, half out, just tired from the constant running to the potty. You see, Lara will tell me when she needs to pee by saying, "Wet! Wet!" I take her to the potty, and she won't do anything, and her panties are dry, and this goes on forever.

And then tonight, she cried, told me she was going to be wet, and I hadn't even yet left the bathroom from the last time, so I said, "Well, come here and we'll sit on the potty." She actually came to me without a fit, sat on the potty, and went.

She cried right before going, so I just hugged her, and she had to go so bad, and I hadn't scooted her back far enough, so I surely got a bit peed on, but the fact of the matter is that she actually held it so she wouldn't pee in her panties, and she went in the potty instead! I am so excited, and I realize that she may not do this again for days or weeks, but I will take what I can get. I just got a glimpse at some light at the end of the potty-training tunnel, people. At this point, that's all I was asking for. Her first pair of dry panties. We won't mind that she still got mommy's pants wet!

We allowed her some valentine heart candies as her reward, and she so sweetly said, "Thanks, Daddy." And, then she wiped by herself, which I did not have to show her how to do-she's seen plenty of people use the potty, so she just knew how to do it.

What do you know? She might just get potty-trained after all.

2 comments:

The Noggles said...

I absolutly love this article, and am so glad that you shared it ;)
Kudos to the stay at home mommies!!
btw.. thank you so much for the card that you sent :) When do you find out the sex of your baby?

Anonymous said...

Ya. More than likely, she'll learn sooner or later. =P

Summer Start

Dustin and I planted tomato plants last night.  The evening was stunningly beautiful. Granted I had to put on a sweatshirt, but it was on...