Friday, January 4, 2008

A Fun Day

After physical therapy today (which, btw, Miss Gretchen says Lara is going 'great'), Lara and I had a girls' day out. We went shopping at the mall to buy lots of cute clothes, stopping to share a cheesy pretzel and watch the carousel. Lara was in a great mood the whole day. She enjoyed looking at herself in the mirrors in the dressing room. She talked on her phone a lot, and at one point a lady asked her "Who are you talking to?" And Lara gave a big smile and said, "Daddy!" (I would be surprised if Lara actually knew what was being said.) But when the lady asked her what she was saying, Lara had a lot to share.
So since we took such a long time at the mall and it was about supper time, we decided we would just go out to eat at a Chinese restaurant. I can't even tell you the names of everything I put on Lara's plate, but she ate everything in such a way that one would assume that I starve my daughter. After awhile, the waitress walked by, and Lara said to her, "All done! All done! All done!" And the waitress said, "Okay, okay!" And she brought the check right out (if only I could be so assertive).
It was such a fun day, because it was just me and Lara (though we would have loved for Dustin to join us, but he had to sleep of course). It was fun because Lara enjoyed herself so much, and fun because I no longer have to say, "Okay, I nursed her 56 min. ago, this gives me MAYBE 64 more minutes to not worry about that, and if I swing her carseat just right or walk the stroller at just the right speed, she should go down for her nap, if she gets fussy, I can nurse her again at this time in this room, that will take me 20 min. so then we can go to this restaurant to eat but if the wait is more than 16.78 minutes, then we will do carry-out because I have to ensure that I am home by this exact time to put Lara to bed at exactly this moment in history." Okay, so it wasn't really that bad, but there's not a lot of flexibility for a mom to do whatever she wants.
Lara and Aidan are having their snacks together in the kitchen. Don't worry, they are not eating the same thing.
--

In regards to Lara's appointment with the developmental pediatrician: I am writing and rewriting a post with all the details (I know I had it up for a brief time, but decided to take it down to hash it out better). We do have a diagnosis, but we are heading back to Peoria in a week and a half to do some tests just to make sure. So if you haven't already heard everything, I ask that you just be patient until I get the post out. Rest assured, Lara IS doing great (better than we had hoped for, I think) and the diagnosis is very mild. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Summer Start

Dustin and I planted tomato plants last night.  The evening was stunningly beautiful. Granted I had to put on a sweatshirt, but it was on...