Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Diagnosis Update

*sigh*
I'm waiting for the days when I no longer have to give updates. I guess I don't HAVE to. Might as well though, everyone will ask me anyway.

I spoke with the developmental pediatrician today. I was pleased that he called three times before I finally caught him.

Basically, Lara's diagnosis stays the same. About 20-30% of children with CP have normal MRI readings. While unusual, the doctor feels the most plausible explanation is that Lara falls into that small percentage. She has "classic" signs of spastic diplegia, and while that in itself is unusual as she was born full term, that's what we're sticking with. It's unusual to have CP period.

Unfortunuately, it's doesn't rule out other possibilities, all of which the doctor highly doubts. Lara doesn't show classic signs for any hereditary issue or brain processing problem. I don't understand the entire thing, but the doctor mentioned that some children with spastic muscles do not have CP at all. Their brains do not process information appropriately and forces the muscles to contract. As these children develop, this problem simply cures itself and the symptoms just go away. Unlikely, in Lara's case. Also unlikely is that it is a specific form of hereditary CP (YES, some forms ARE hereditary-a problem in the spinal cord with no brain damage). Again, Lara does not show the appropriate signs for this, plus there is no indication that such a problem exists on either side of her family, making this a very rare situation.

So the doctor says his diagnosis stands at mild spastic diplegia. He ended the conversation by explaining that this information does not change a thing. He says Lara's prognosis is still really good and he is really pleased with how everything is progressing so far.

Part of the problem also is that Lara is just so young to get a firm grasp on what's going on. As she gets older and we can see more of what her body is able to do, this will help us figure it out better.

And that's all!!

No comments:

Summer Start

Dustin and I planted tomato plants last night.  The evening was stunningly beautiful. Granted I had to put on a sweatshirt, but it was on...