Friday, April 11, 2008

It's Time...

...for another Team Lara post!!

We have raised $520.00 toward our goal of $700.00. I think not bad for our first time at this. Many thanks to those who have donated toward this great cause.

When I had my preterm labor scare, I remember being completely frightened at the thought of Lara being born at 27 weeks gestation. Thankfully, Lara got her 9 months, but it is still a possibility that that is why she has spastic diplegia. Thankfully, Lara got her 9 months, and that is why it is so mild, right?

Here are some signs and symptoms of possible preterm labor. If you feel you might be experiencing any of these, head to your doctor. Don't waste a minute worrying, and if the nurse on the phone says, "Well, that can be pretty common with some women" like mine did, then YOU say, "No, I'm concerned, and I want to be seen" (like I did).

-Contractions (your abdomen tightens like a fist) every 10 minutes or more often
These contractions can also be masked by Braxton Hicks, so if you are having a lot of those, make sure the doctor knows.
-Change in cervical fluid
-Pelvic pressure—the feeling that your baby is pushing down
-Low, dull backache
-Cramps that feel like your period
-Abdominal cramps with or without diarrhea

Preterm labor is a fairly random thing, because every woman's body is different and can handle different things. While you should take all necessary steps to prevent preterm labor, it's not your fault if you fall into it. But shame on you if you don't take the right steps! (And that's not to judge; I could have done better with some things myself.)

1. Have a good diet. Be mindful of what you are eating. It's totally fine to nuke your deli meat before you eat it even if people make fun of you.
2. Drink a lot of water. I'm not talking 8 cups a day, I'm talking 2 liters a day. Your baby is swimming in a bag of water, so drink lots!! Even in the winter.
3. Stay away from large groups of kids. Don't let them fool you. They may look healthy, but they are not. They could pass a normally harmless infection to you that could cause severe brain injury to the fetus. If you are a teacher, be super careful. Talk to your doctor about what might be going around at the school and wash your hands constantly. And try not to breathe.
4. Do not smoke and do not drink alcohol. If you can't quit for your baby, then you are not ready to have one.
5. Don't do really silly things like jump on a trampoline when you are 8mo along, etc. In all seriousness, thse kinds of things could cause severe damage to you and the baby.
6. And, I will jump up on my soapbox for this one. When are you 37 weeks, please do not start running stairs and eating spicy foods because you want your pregnancy to be over. YOU HAVE 4 MORE WEEKS TO GO.

Friends and family, if you know someone who is dealing with some bedrest because of preterm worries, here are some things that will go over great for them:
1. Take them a meal. Don't ask them what they need, just do it. I had a friend who called me and said, "Okay, get ready, I'm coming over with chicken noodles!" Wonderful.
2. Remember that sometimes (like in my case) bedrest doesn't = I'm terribly sick. In my case,
it = I feel great but I've got to do this for the baby. One person said to me simply, "You're doing a great job, Jenn, keep it up." So don't be too sad and depressed. Continue to rejoice in the pregnancy.
3. Company is heavenly. I appreciated when my mom and grandma drove me around for some shopping and when my sister-in-law and mother-in-law stopped by for dinner and a movie or when friends visited with flowers. Forget the phone calls, just go on over. Trust me, she's probably not too busy.
4. Go ahead and help her out. Offer to do some spring cleaning, or pick up some groceries for her.

DO NOT constantly ask "What do you need?" but do nothing to follow through with that. I could have made a fortune if I had a dime every time someone asked me that but didn't actually DO anything. When you ask the question, don't leave until you get an idea of what you can do, then do it.

In the end, it's all for the baby. Which is what March of Dimes is all about. I'm really proud that my family has made an effort in this cause, and we're going to prove it by walking. I'm really proud that Lara was carried full-term after 8 weeks of rest and medication. I'm really proud of all the great services Lara has received to help her progress. March for Babies!! Give them a healthy start!! Help to give them their 9 months!

No comments:

Summer Start

Dustin and I planted tomato plants last night.  The evening was stunningly beautiful. Granted I had to put on a sweatshirt, but it was on...