I love them. I'm not a good go-with-the-flow person. I like things to be planned out and have
an idea of what's to come. For some reason, it has been hard for me to accept this about myself. I've been given a hard time by some for being Type A. But as I have gotten older, I've learned to embrace the qualities that help me thrive, even if it means getting laughed at (or worse, people rolling their eyes at me) because I am particular about things. This summer, I have embraced my love for order, and have developed our summer schedule. No more waking up every morning and thinking, "Okay, what am I going to do TODAY to entertain my family?" I've got something fun lined up every day and because I know what we are going to do, I can deal with getting a toddler and an infant ready in plenty of time to head out the door.
Monday: Family Day. This is Dustin's main day off, and with him home to help me, we can go anywhere or do anything on a whim!



Tuesday: Library Day.
Wednesday: Play Date Day. I'm starting to make calls and send out emails to have a play date once a week. We NEVER did play dates before because there wasn't time in our schedules after childcare and therapy. Now, I'm setting them up like crazy!
Thursday: Water Play Day! This might mean a dunk in the pool, a run through the sprinklers, or setting up a water table. Whatever is easiest for me that day. But because I've got this on the schedule and am thinking ahead, I can get the pool out and the water warmed up in plenty of time to swim.
Friday: Therapy/Movie Day
Saturday: Craft Day
Sunday: Church and rest.
Of course, there will never be a week where all of this will happen on these days. For instance, our play date this week is on Friday (therapy's been cancelled), so Wednesday will be our Movie Day. With the heat index what it is, staying indoors and watching Sleeping Beauty or The Incredibles sounds great to me.
Children thrive on schedules, too, so if you're a mommy, you know how important it is to have one. I was so against schedules when Lara was infant, but I realize now how a "routine" is really beneficial. Of course, you have to be able to go with the flow with children, because some days they are just hungrier, more tired, or plain grumpy (as a disclaimer, I do not support schedules where you hold your baby off from eating or sleeping because it's not time yet). But I find the more you stick to your routine, the happier the child is. Claire has been on a routine as I've already mentioned. But I've also recently started her bedtime routine, complete with a massage and book reading. It is amazing to me that my 3 week old already has a bedtime. I think it was about 4 months or something before Lara had something manageable.
No comments:
Post a Comment