Sunday, August 1, 2010

birthday thoughts

This week I had my birthday. It was last Friday. Let me tell you, it's like seeing the world all anew when you are 29 instead of 28. Amazing, this light of enlightenment that has settled upon my bright red hair and has given me a whole new outlook on my life. Who could have thought turning 29 could be so spectacular?!

I have just one more year in my twenties, the decade of youthfulness and 120lb bodies. At first, thought must get #2 piercings in ears. Then thought no, I like just one, perhaps tattoo. Then thought, no, not tattoo person, must stay true to oneself (also have plenty of permanent marks on body already from pregnancies, some of which wound about to make designs). So I think I will travel in my last year in my twenties, the decade of immature decisions and stupidity. I will go to another country and give toothbrushes, Bibles, and hugs. My twenty-first birthday lasted two days...not the celebration, I mean that July 30 was two days long as I was coming home from my summer in Indonesia, and traveling across time changes meant we traveled back in time; hence, an extra long birthday. Ever since then, I have always wondered what it would be like if you were to travel all the time leaping from one time space to another time space. For one, you would be quite sick from all the dehydration of flying, no doubt, but could you arrange it so your days were always extra long? I could do a lot if I had just a few extra hours every day.

My birthday celebration was flanked on one end by very experienced and quite seasoned couples who experienced the heart brake of WWII, and on the other end by a wedding of a young, cautionless couple embarking on the journey of marriage. My birthday week left me feeling rather disoriented, but quite content with where I am at in my life. So, here I stand in my last year in my twenties (actually, I sit, very tired and worn out) thinking on the lessons I have learned in the last decade, and discovering my identity. Here is the gist:

I am created by a loving God, married to a wonderful husband, mother to beautiful girls, family to strong people. I am nothing compared to everything, but I am fabulous and beautiful.

here, here!!

No comments:

Summer Start

Dustin and I planted tomato plants last night.  The evening was stunningly beautiful. Granted I had to put on a sweatshirt, but it was on...