Monday, March 7, 2011

Just an update...

This last week was a really nice week. A week ago on Sunday, my sister came over and watched Claire (Lara was at Grandma's) so Dustin and I could go out for a little bit. I try to take advantage of any chance we get for that, especially since Dustin is spending more and more time away from home to get things ready for his bee business and the country house. It was a nice surprise for my sister to do that for me, because, to be honest, our relationship has always been really one-sided. It has always been me who has extended the helping hand or taken the girls off her watch for a little bit. I've never really seen it in that way before because family shouldn't be keeping track, and I don't. I didn't realize that Jill has not really done those kinds of things for me before until she was actually over on Sunday, and even drove through some bad weather. It was a nice change to BE helped, and I really appreciated it. So, Dustin and I were able to do a little shopping (finally, after 4 years in the wanting, we have a new living room ceiling fan) and go out to eat.

The following day, we went to Indianapolis to visit our friends who are home on furlough from Ukraine. We see them every time they come home, and the last time was about 2 years ago. We met our friends 8 years ago (and they lived in OH then), and it is pretty amazing that we still keep in touch and visit after all these years. It was nice to visit them and see how their two children are growing up (they lost their third child last year to a genetic disorder), and to hear a lot of interesting stories about their life in Ukraine. We spent the night with them, and treated them to the children's discovery museum in Indy the following day. The museum was really neat, and Lara loved the Barbie exhibit. Claire loved running in wide, open spaces.On Wednesday, we had someone come look at the house, so I cleaned. We haven't heard anything more from this person, but are hoping this is the start of more interest, thanks to warmer weather. More about this later.

On Thursday, we took the girls to see Lightning McQueen at Dustin's work building (State Farm sponsors the "Cars" movie, next one coming out this year). They really were not so interested. :)
On Friday, we had therapy, then Kidstuf at our church. Lara's number was drawn to go up on stage and sing in front of everybody (the virtue this month is about courage). So Dustin sang. :D
On Saturday, a friend came over to watch the girls while Dustin and I went to a farewell party for some friends from church. They are moving to Mississippi next week to do ministry in the Gulf, where many families are still suffering from the aftermath of Katrina.

Last night, we were to have friends over, but due to sickness (for them), we postponed. Since the day was freed, Dustin insisted I take the afternoon away, so I did some shopping. It is that time of year again when Lara needs some new clothes that fit the season. I walked around a bit confused for awhile, because I couldn't figure out what size to buy for Lara. She has graduated out of the toddler department, and is in Girls now. But she is still in the awkward place where 4 is a little too small, but 5 is a little too big. I am not sure if I will ever have that figured out. I only bought Claire a couple things, since she is still in Lara's hand-me-downs. Claire is pretty much wearing 3T clothes...even though she is not two for three more months. I also bought myself a few things, and that felt nice. :)

In other news, the girls are doing really great. Claire is picking up more words every day (including saying "mama" instead of "baba"), and it is fun to experience this. Claire's hair is long enough now that she got to have her first pony tail yesterday. Lara and I are going to do Locks of Love together, if we can stand our long hair long enough. Lara is flying through her reading lessons now, and is even starting to read on her own out of books (books that she is not familiar with). Lara has really hit a very emotional state now. Whenever she is disciplined, she always says, "I just want a hug! And you are making me go to time-out! You just don't love me!" (I make it a point, actually, every day to tell the girls that I love them, and to say something nice about them. I also picked up an idea from a friend of mine, and the girls and I will say and sign "you are beautiful in your hearts, and in your minds, and in your faces!") She will also get her feelings quite hurt if you close a door when she is walking by because she thinks you are intending to close the door on her. So I also am trying to teach her that the world is not all about her. ;) It's difficult because it is a constant internal struggle and it appears nothing I say makes any difference to her. Don't misunderstand; Lara is typically full of joy and laughter all day. But, she is turning into a GIRL now, so sometimes she just falls apart. A friend told me recently, "when your boys grow up, you have to remodel your house; when your girls grow up, you have to have 20 years of psychotherapy." Dustin and I sat down last night and tried to hash out plans for our future. There are so many unknowns so I am freaking out a little, but see this as a great opportunity to not be controlling or make things a bigger deal than they are. As of now, we plan to move sometime in the last couple weeks of April/beginningish of May, which means I should start collecting boxes. We are hoping the house will be ready enough for us to move into in May. We need to move in around this time because the bees will be in, and Dustin has a lot to do to set everything up for his business. Dustin will also be co-teaching a bee class with my dad sometime at the end of April. While our prayers are that our house will sell, we are also open to renting it out. We really do not want to go that route because we would like to be rid of the house and any responsibilities of it therein, but the bees are calling us in for duty, so....here is the first Queen Castle that Dustin made!
Well, I do hope this will be our last winter picture of the year!That's all for now!

No comments:

Summer Start

Dustin and I planted tomato plants last night.  The evening was stunningly beautiful. Granted I had to put on a sweatshirt, but it was on...