Friday, August 2, 2013

It Made Me Giggle

I don't come unglued easily at all.  I do come unglued.  Just not easily.  Ask my husband if you don't believe me.

I remember the other day (I don't know what was happening; I don't recall), I said to my girls, "Please, I am warning you: I am about to explode.  Look at me as a bomb.  I will be set off at the slightest touch.  So I think it would be best if we all just be super nice and super quiet."  I made it through the entire day without flipping out.  Go me.

However, this does not mean I am not emotional and have everything under control.  Some days my emotions send me into a dizzying array of events and I am so distracted, I am still living in Friday when apparently the world (which, for the love, I can't understand why it won't revolve around me) continues on to Monday.  I came across a book the other day titled _Unglued_.  The subtitle reads "Making Wise Choices in the Midst of Raw Emotions."  What woman could resist a book with a title like that?  Now, while I do not go around sticking my head in my bag like the lady on the book cover, it is probably more because of what is IN my bag than because I don't ever need to. 

The author of this book has so many good things to say that tonight my bathroom mirror will be full of post-it notes, Michael Jackson-style.  But she made this little comment. It went like this.

It made me giggle.

And hence you have the motto for the rest of my life.  She was talking about something or other and I could sort of relate and I was like, "Annoying.."  But instead she wrote:

It made me giggle.

And she wasn't meaning that in a way as though she had this epiphany and had learned how to do this through years of struggle and reading her Bible every day and blah blah blah.  She was just like.

It made me giggle.

And I thought giggling instead of fuming.  What a nice thought.  Finding the humor instead of finding the insult.  So first order of business is to change my last name to Rocknroll.

It's not the answer to life, but maybe the next time you're in a rut, or you're feeling pretty bad about yourself, you can think about giggling.  Like, as an example.  I was feeling pretty bad one day about my daughter's swim lessons.  The summer went by mostly smoothly until recently, and now my daughter throws a fit about going.  I can't really swim and others' advice is lost on me.  I don't know what to do.  How to calm my daughter, how to teach her to swim, nothing.  Nothing.  I walked over to Dustin and unloaded it on him.  "You have to be responsible for this! I don't know swimming!  I can't teach her!  You have to be in charge of this!"

Then I said, "And, you know what!! I cannot take this conversation seriously with that big hair sticking out of your nose, so push it back in so I can concentrate!!"

Oh, suddenly how silly I felt for making such a big deal out of things.  Life goes on, with or without your emotional tantrums.  

It made me giggle.  Let's giggle together.
   



  



      

2 comments:

merry said...

For the mom's conference I participated in this summer, she sent us all clown noses so we could put them on when we were thinking about a frustrating or stressful situation or especially a frustrating or stressful person to remind ourselves not to take anyone too seriously. She also recommended clown wigs :)

Megan said...

I have this book and haven't read it yet! I guess I'm too unglued to even crack it open! You've inspired me to give it a go...thanks! :)

Summer Start

Dustin and I planted tomato plants last night.  The evening was stunningly beautiful. Granted I had to put on a sweatshirt, but it was on...