Saturday, May 3, 2008

Lunch Rut

I've been stuck in one lately. Lara is not a picky eater, but I hate feeling like I feed her grilled cheese at every lunch. The hardest part for me is trying to decide what to make for lunch, then again later trying to decide what to make for supper. I don't dislike cooking by any means, but I do feel that there are so many more important things for me to do in life besides stand over the stove all day and ponder on what to make.

So I've decided to just get really organized. I've made a list of 8 healthy toddler lunches, and I plan to just rotate them. In case anyone is reading this who has a toddler, and would like more ideas, I included the list at the bottom.

Also, I've decided to get my act together for her snacks, and I'm really proud of myself. I haven't done well with her snacks because I was in the habit of feeding her like a baby-just some crackers here, some cheerios there. It finally dawned on me that Lara is probably ready for some nutritious, healthy snacks, and it's not good for her to be grazing all day (her snack cup is always close by). So, again, made a list of some healthy toddler snacks (included at the bottom). I sit her down at her little table for a mid am snack, and then again when she wakes up from her nap. I let her have her snack cup for a little snack before bed.

This is all partly due to the fact that Lara's diet is not quite right, so I need to make some adjustments. I tend to give her A LOT of fruits and veggies, and not enough fat. I don't feel guilty over this, since my intention was just to give her a lot of healthy stuff-but I was applying healthy adult eating to a little child. Her pedi told me to do more cheese, meat, etc. since Lara has some mild digestive issues and needs more fat. BTW, I was explaining all this to Dustin, who nodded vigorously and said, "Oh, yeah, I could have told you that!" Hey, man, I don't pretend to be the smartest mom on the block!

So I am out of my lunch rut and am finally feeling very comfortable with Lara's diet. If anyone has any other good meal ideas, PLEASE shoot me an email and tell me.

Lunch List:
1. Tortilla Roll Ups w/ cream cheese
2. Little Hula Pizzas (English muffin w/ sauce, pineapple, ham, and cheese)
3. Peanut Butter with honey and bacon
4. Grilled Cheese with spaghetti dipping sauce
5. Fish Sticks
6. Mac and Cheese with mixed in Veggies (optional: meat)
7. Breakfast!
8. PB and Banana grilled sandwich

Snack List:
1. Ants on a Log (celery filled with PB and with raisins on top)
2. Toddler Trail Mix
3. Yogurt Cereal Bars
4. Fruit Salad (fruit with yogurt dip)
5. Fruit slices with cheese slices or string cheese
6. Applesauce graham crackers (Dustin calls them "Mush on the Ground" to make fun of "Ants on a Log")
7. Crackers with hummus

No comments:

Summer Start

Dustin and I planted tomato plants last night.  The evening was stunningly beautiful. Granted I had to put on a sweatshirt, but it was on...