Friday, February 6, 2009

Superwomans

Just when I thought the winter could not get any worse, Mother Nature took pity on me and has given me 50 degree weather.




Last night, I shut down. Dear Dustin, please help mommy. Please wake up your tired eyes and help mommy. I watched my neighbor's children all day yesterday, who are our friends, and we love them. But I do not love the awful messes and broken/chewed on/slobered on/taken apart toys that they always leave in their wake. I am reminded every Tuesday and Thursday how terribly spoiled I am with Lara, that little calm girl who would sit for 45 minutes at a time and look through books at the age of 8 months by herself. I can get terribly impatient with my charges and want to scream (but do not), "WHY, WHY can you not just SIT DOWN and PLAY with the toys? WHY must you throw them, and kick them, and swing them, and scream, and be crazy?" It was a long day. And that is when I wobbled (because, yes, I am wobbling now) to my wonderful husband, asleep in his bed, and said I..am...done. And I felt so guilty, because mothers are supposed to be Superwomans, and be able to bake pies while ironing a shirt while singing a song to the fussy child while vaccuming the floor, in earthquakes and sunamis and through sickness and in despair. I only had the despair thing going on, so what's my deal? And then Dustin had a TALK with me. From now, says he, I am not allowed to despair. He is my partner, says he, and I am to come to him for relief before the despair hits.






This morning, Dustin came home from work, tired as he always is, and took Lara away. I went back to bed for some rest and reading, got up around 1pm. Lara comes home and says "HHHHIIII!" in a very happy fashion and tells me about her juice box and french fries and books that Daddy bought, and her fun trip to the Discovery Museum with the big pizza slice on the ceiling and where she played really well with other children.

I have a very, very nice family. I am in good spirits, and I walk outside, and am not afraid to breathe for fear that the cold air will turn my lungs to ice. And the air smells nice, and refreshing. The sun is bright. It is just simply nice, I think, to have a break in life...where I can just breathe again.



That is really all that Superwomans are really asking for, anyway.

No comments:

Summer Start

Dustin and I planted tomato plants last night.  The evening was stunningly beautiful. Granted I had to put on a sweatshirt, but it was on...