Saturday, January 8, 2011

2010-2011

Another year has come and gone. Naturally, being a very worn-out mother, I hit the sack around 8pm or so on New Year's (okay, so maybe it was a little later than that, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't like to be in bed by 8pm anyway). I generally ignored the fact that it was another year, and I do not make resolutions because I am a MOTHER-I do not need any more guilt in my life because of what I cannot accomplish!! Nonetheless, I have begun to reflect on what 2010 was like for us. Here's a recap, in no particular order:

1. Dustin and I took our 2nd vacation as a couple (the first being our honeymoon, 8 years previous). What a fabulous cruise trip to the Caribbean!! Will definitely do again.
2. Lara became completely and fully potty-trained, completely meaning no more tantrums on the toilet. Pull-ups were put away for good.
3. I started my exercise program. I am on my way to a New me! Haven't lost too much weight yet, but can see the health and freshness coming back into my face.
4. We made the decision to put our house on the market and move to Homer.
5. Both girls learned a ton; Lara started formal reading lessons, and Claire...well, she gained lots of new information every day! ;)
6. Lara had her first case of the stitches!
7. The girls got all new furniture in their bedrooms; Lara got a beautiful twin bed, and Claire finally got to sleep in a crib (all drop-side-cribs-outlawed news ignored ;)).
8. I had ear surgery, the outcome being FANTASTIC. My ears continue to feel so wonderful, albeit still pretty deaf.
9. Claire was dedicated at church.
10. We experienced firsthand the art of country FRIED chickens!
11. We said goodbye to my great grandmother Jessie Henness.
12. Lara went to her first ballet.
13. I had all my wisdom teeth out.
14. Dustin went to the Orange conference.
15. We put Lara's walker up on the wall in the garage, and there it has stayed!

When I really think back on last year, wow! I feel that it was a very fulfilling year. I grew a lot as a mother and as a Christian. My family had a generally wonderful year.

What do I hope to see happen this year? Well, it will be a very big year for us. We are trying to make plans and set goals for our moving to Homer, and for Dustin starting work in the bee business. There are many questions left to be answered, so we cannot tell anything with certainty; as such, I am not going to share any more information at this point.

I hope to do a photography-business makeover this year. I really do not know what that means, but I feel I need to change some aspects of the business to make it more enjoyable for me. While I had more business and made more money in 2010 than in 2009 (the year I started), I found myself more frustrated about things than enjoying the work. That will need to change if I decide to continue this work.

Then there are the various plans and goals for the children and our spiritual growth, as individuals and as a family; but these are the sort of goals that we will always be striving toward, all through life. I am striving toward creating a heart-filled, cozy, happy home for my family. I want my home to be a safe haven for anyone who needs one. And I am striving for a spirit-led home. I can say pretty assuredly that I can kick into high gear as a mother so as to overshadow the gentle guiding of the Spirit in our home. Naturally being so in control of everyone can make me forget what my place is in my family. I end up frustrated, impatient, worried, and confused. It was quite recently that Lara and I read a scripture: Let your cry come to me, and I will give you an answer, and let you see great things and secret things of which you had no knowledge (JER 33:3). It was so suddenly made clear to me that I need to let the Spirit guide my family and let God take us on this great adventure.

I know that God will bless us through this wonderful new year. I am excited to see what is in store for us!

No comments:

Summer Start

Dustin and I planted tomato plants last night.  The evening was stunningly beautiful. Granted I had to put on a sweatshirt, but it was on...