Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Birthdays!

Monday was Dustin's 30th birthday! Happy Birthday, Daddy!!
To celebrate, the girls went to Grandma's the night before, and Dustin and I spent Sunday evening on a nice date.

I wanted to make a bit of a big deal about it, but that is not Dustin's style. So, rather, we invited over our families on Monday, ate various foods and desserts, and hung out at the house for a few hours. It was also my mom's birthday! I got a ? candle because a) us kids could not agree on Mom's age and b) we shouldn't so blatantly discuss Dustin's age.

I think Dustin (and Mom) has a terrible birth date. Because it is shortly after Christmas, it is hard to plan ahead for it and think about a nice birthday gift. Every year I usually comment, "Oh, my, your birthday is in 8 days! I forgot!" :I So my gift to Dustin this year was stuffed mushrooms! ;) But you can ask Dustin: he will tell you that he really doesn't care.

As my sister Jill was nearing ready to leave the party, she received a text from her youngest daughter's babysitter informing that she would not be available to watch Allison the following day. Jill was only slightly upset, as she really needed to be at work the next day. I suggested that Allison just stay with me that night, and we could meet up the next day to get her home. This worked out really well for everyone, and I was glad to have the chance to spend some time with Allie. Because of the circumstances surrounding Allie's birth, I saw Allie very little during her first couple of years; at one time, I did not see her for an entire year. I can say with joy and thanksgiving that our family is reunited now. We have spent a lot of time together over the last several months and have a great time together. Jill and I keep in touch regularly. Things are really so much better now, but it does not change the past. I was just reflecting last week on how Allison does not really feel like my niece since I have not spent much time with her and did not connect with her during her first couple of years. So I was glad for the opportunity to have just her spend the night with us. She is SO energetic, and I was really wiped out by the time I met Jill. But I will always remember when Allison said, "Aunt Jennifey?" (Because she cannot say 'R') "I love you!"
Speaking of parties, we also spent the first evening of the year at Dustin's grandma's birthday get together. Here is Lara with her cousin Hannah. They played a game of hide-n-seek to keep themselves busy that night.

This morning, my friend came over for a play date. This was really nice. First, most of my friends either work all day, live in Bloomington, or the kids are in school, so play dates do not happen a whole lot anymore. This particular friend recently left her full-time job to be more available to her family and home. She loved her job, but recognized where her priorities lay. I am so glad to have a friend right here in Atlanta who I can get together with-this probably says I need to get out more and meet some more people in Atlanta! ;) My other friend who lives close by, and who recently seemingly backed out of our friendship due to differing churches, has recently made contact, inquiring about getting together. Now I am very confused and am not sure how to respond. Praying for some wisdom in this situation.

Girls are doing good. Tired from the weekend, though. Here is a picture Lara set up and asked me to take. Lara had both girls wear sleeper jammies-and they are wearing scarves made by Uncle Andy's Lisa. I wish I could make stuff. ;)




Right now, I've got the girls confined to their bedrooms. Actually, Claire is napping, but Lara is watching a movie in her room. I took the girls grocery shopping today, which I really never do by myself, but we had no food in the house. It was so horrible. For the most part, it was fine, but the last 1/2 hr was horrendous. Claire was throwing huge fits, Lara was getting in the way with her little kid cart, both Claire and Lara were falling down all over the place...at one point, I was squatting near the refrigerated goods, hugging/comforting both girls, though I REALLY wanted to throw a fit along with them! Urghhhhh......sigh.

I still cannot decide if I will homeschool this year or wait til next (if Lara were in the public school system, she would not start until Fall of 2012 because the cut-off date is 5yrs before Sep. 1). I have decided to purchase a cheaper curriculum, however, and not the Sonlight, for Kindergarten. As we are already doing a lot of what children are doing in K-1st grades, I have a feeling Lara will move quickly through the material-especially if I wait until she is closer to 6. We will purchase Sonlight later on.



Lara likes to take pictures with a new little digital camera I got for Christmas (I just wanted one I could throw in my purse). You can see her pictures here!!

Claire is a silly monkey! She's really a big goof ball, even without actually being intentionally silly, she just naturally is.More later.

No comments:

Summer Start

Dustin and I planted tomato plants last night.  The evening was stunningly beautiful. Granted I had to put on a sweatshirt, but it was on...