For several months, Lara has mentioned getting baptized. I do not recall how or when the conversations started. Dustin and I would talk about it with her, then just sort of leave it hanging. My own personal parenting style when it comes to baptism is more of a keep-silent one. I want my children to have their own identity and their own faith. While a parent must guide and nurture, we should never push. We ensured Lara had an understanding and appropriate reason for getting baptized (not like "I'm scared to go to hell!") But then we left our conversations with Lara up in the air until she could be ready enough to make it happen on her own. It just had to be all her. And suddenly she came to me (last Wednesday), and said, "It's time. Grandma's pool, right after nap. Bring the brownies so we can celebrate after." We called up our parents and a couple friends to ask them to join us.
A few months earlier, I had asked a friend and former pastor of mine for advice-should we allow the baptism when she is so young? Shouldn't she perhaps spend 40 days anguishing in the desert to come to this decision?? We agreed that Lara's journey with God is her own. While Dustin and I play a big part in her story, it is her story. Her baptism is not for us to allow or not allow. What Dustin and I have is a child with her heart and mind wide open. "Let them come to me," Jesus had said.
I hope you will forgive me if you are learning about it for the first time here. It's easier to make a general announcement on a place like this. I wasn't trying to be private about it for I love to tell people and involve people in our lives. But I wanted to give it time so we would not being receiving too much attention. I knew that too much attention would freak Lara out a little, plus it is unnecessary.
Baptism Day July 10, 2013
Praise the Lord! We thank God for Lara and the blessing she is to our lives. We pray for the wisdom and strength to guide her in the best way possible-always directing her path to God.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Summer Start
Dustin and I planted tomato plants last night. The evening was stunningly beautiful. Granted I had to put on a sweatshirt, but it was on...
-
"I'm calling about my daughter Lara" "Okay, and what did Lara get into today?" Since the girls have been congested a...
-
We'll start off with the heavier issues today, and end on a lighter note. First, I have started watching "Parenthood." I real...
-
"You have 489 days - 16 hours - 20 minutes - and 46 seconds until your child is out of the terrible twos phase." - Terrible Twos C...
No comments:
Post a Comment