Lara! I heard Lara mimick me.
Where are you? I yelled.
And a brief second later, Lara pushed her big yellow shopping cart around the corner.
So I chided myself very sternly for turning my head just a second. But that's not the kind of panic you just get over. You realize you just had a lucky night.
Until Lara learns to walk, I'm going to need some anti-anxiety pills yet!!
I also subbed on Wednesday. When I got home, I did an hour therapy session with Lara before supper and heading into town. I've always done stretches and exercises here and there with Lara throughout the day. Now, however, I plan particular stretches of time to do therapy to ensure I'm doing enough. It's difficult. Even when Lara is cooperative. I know that it is important for Lara, that's why I do them! I really lack the time and resources to do as much as I would like, and I start blaming myself when I think Lara isn't doing as well as she should. Her specialist and therapist assure me she is doing good and her progress is good, but this is in my hands, and THAT is very stressful.
You have to be on your toes a lot with Lara. We don't watch TV much in my house. I've decided that I am not going to raise Lara on television, so I don't have 20 minutes here or there where I can plop her down in front of the screen and have some quiet time. Lara also doesn't care much for toys, so I find that I am trying to be creative in the time I spend with her, which is inbetween doing the dishes and making a meal. I guess I have decided I'm going to be the go-go-go kind of mother. So you can imagine that I am tired a lot. I usually feel very depleted. And somewhere in all of that, I have to search around for the energy to do therapy, the energy to hunch over for a whole block while I work on Lara's walking, the energy to pick her up and put her down, the energy to put on and take off braces throughout the day. And somewhere, I have to find the mental energy to talk about the same thing, when I would love to talk about something different. I would love to talk about the new things she does instead of how her therapy is going. I would love to talk about her birthday that is coming up instead of her recent global assessment.
But I just keep going, with virtually no end in sight. And I would love a break, but I've been given a life that doesn't have room for one. I'm not upset. I'm not mad. I'm not angry. Oh, no. I am fulfilled and I am grateful. I am just also very, very tired. But I remind myself that I am doing the best that I, mother, can. It may not be as good as other mothers, it may not live up to a lot of people's expectations, but I am giving as much as I can. And at the end of the day, I lift all that up to God and ask that He will bless what I managed to accomplish. And that He will give me strength with a new day.
No comments:
Post a Comment