I am sad about Facebook. Yes, I do facebook, because I love reconnecting with old high school friends and relatives who live just too far away. There's this thing going around right now; it's lame, but kind of fun to read. You write 25 random things about you, then tag others to do the same. I have actually been learning a lot about people-like the lady in my church who has an MA in flute performance or another friend who could have died of appendicitis b/c she was misdiagnosed shortly after giving birth. So I decided to write my 25 things. One of the things I wrote was a short description of giving birth to Lara. A preterm labor scare at 27 weeks, though I carried full-term. But Lara has spastic diplegia...etc. Well, a certain friend I tagged pretty much went along with all the general random topics as I chose, so when she got to the random item about Lara's birth, she replaced it with
my baby was born 3 months early and are blessed that so far nothing is wrong.
You probably need to really be in my shoes to understand why I am not just being sensitive, and why that hurts. I realize that she might be doing nothing more than stating her relief and it's not about my situation, but it still was insensitive. I just want to say, too, that there might be a misunderstanding of the way I think. I am not jealous that your 9 mo old baby can walk when my 2 year old is nowhere close. I find nothing impressive about a 12mo old learning how to walk. I realize how exciting it is for the parents, so it's great fun, but I never think, "Man, Lara still can't do it." Never. Because I have those moments a lot myself. Sure, she can't walk, but I am super excited that she balanced in standing for a full 20 seconds today at therapy. Basically, for most moms, a lot of that excitement in watching them achieve physical milestones happens in those first 18 months. I just get to experience that a lot longer and relish in each tiny step she takes. But, really, I am blessed, because my blessings are not limited to the normalacy of "can-do"s.
I don't think there is one person currently on my blog list who has ever voiced an insensitive comment to me, so I am not writing this post to anyone specifically, but just to get it off my chest. Blogs are medicine like that. And I feel a lot better.
Friday, January 23, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Summer Start
Dustin and I planted tomato plants last night. The evening was stunningly beautiful. Granted I had to put on a sweatshirt, but it was on...
-
"I'm calling about my daughter Lara" "Okay, and what did Lara get into today?" Since the girls have been congested a...
-
We'll start off with the heavier issues today, and end on a lighter note. First, I have started watching "Parenthood." I real...
-
"You have 489 days - 16 hours - 20 minutes - and 46 seconds until your child is out of the terrible twos phase." - Terrible Twos C...
1 comment:
Sorry it hurts Jenn! I'm sure she didn't mean anything by it. But that doesn't negate what you're feeling. Blog it out, girl! :)
Post a Comment