Saturday, December 18, 2010

Traumatic weekend!

Yesterday, the girls and I had just gotten home from a shopping trip. I meant to hit the unlock button as I got out of the SUV, but [apparently] hit the lock button instead. I had thrown the keys down in the console on my way out the door. So this means that I locked the girls in the car. :0

I wasn't concerned initially because I figured Lara would be able to climb to the front and hit the unlock button (child safety lock was engaged). I explained to her through the window that I needed her to do that, and she tried, but decided it was too difficult. She was wearing her winter coat, braces in winter boots, so she was too constricted to hoist herself over the console.

I told Lara just to try to unlock her door just in case that would work, and after she tried, I yanked on the door handle to see if it worked. It did not work, and sensing burglary, the alarm went off. So now the poor girls are stuck in the SUV that is beeping for the pleasure of all south Atlanta. At this point, I realized I had no idea how to get the girls out of the car, and the alarm sent me into panic mode. After yelling at the girls that IT IS GOING TO BE FINE!!, I raced to the front door to get Dustin's help, who was sleeping after his 3rd shift. But the door was locked.

I darted toward the garage door, as that is always our Plan B to get in the house. But the garage door opener was in the car. And the back door is never unlocked during winter.

So I ran to the back of the house, slid my hands up behind the screen and banged on the bedroom window for Dustin's help, in typical panic-stricken, immature jennifer manner. Then I realized, "Oh, wait, for some unknown reason, I did decide to unlock the back door today." So I ran inside, called for Dustin, and raced back to the girls who I knew would be quite scared from the loud alarm in which they were sitting.

Lara looked at me through the window with fright in her face and tears in her eyes; Claire looked the same. I tried to comfort Lara through the glass barrier between us, and encouraged her to try getting up to the front again. I had no idea how I would get the girls out of the car. But, suddenly, without a word of discouragement or fear, and with calm determination, Lara hoisted herself over the console, and threw herself down onto the front seat. She patiently listened to me try to explain where the unlock button was located, and after a few tries, she got it, and proudly released the Copass girls from their momentary prison.

Dustin and I then fumbled around a bit, trying to get the alarm to turn off (the alarm went off several months before, and a woman approached me, AFTER I got the alarm turned off-typical-, and explained that you are to honk your horn twice when that happens. I could not remember how I had done it, so yesterday I did as the lady said, and NO, that did not work. I am wondering if she was joking now). Anyway, I got it turned off, and all was well. I ended up having not needed Dustin's help, but I think having him there with me calmed me down to deal with the situation rationally. He went back to bed, and I exclaimed over Lara's braveness, and offered her a candy from her Good Job bowl. She was in great spirits, being filled with pride and sugar. Claire was just fine too.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Today, Dustin and I took the girls to my niece's 8th birthday party. It was held in a basement of a church, which is a childcare facility. My nieces go to the after-school program there until Jill can pick them up. It was really a cute little area, with a lot of fun toys, and all the kids had a fun time running around and playing.

One area was set up with a little stage and dress-up clothes. There was a ramp coming off the stage, and the kids really enjoyed walking up and playing on the stage, which was probably about 2 or 3 feet off the ground. Of course, I should have known better than to let Lara use a ramp without a rail. She can do it, but it is tricky work. I guess I figured she was managing it all right, so I'd let her be. I actually do not know if the ramp had anything to do with it, but at some point, she fell off the stage (or the ramp).

My mom got to her first and a feeling of dread swept through me when I heard, "Oh, Jennifer, she is bleeding, get something fast." I could tell in Mom's voice that it probably wasn't a little nose bleed or gum scratch. My poor, sweet, little baby girl was face down on the ground, crying pretty hard. I mean, she is normally Drama, but you could tell this was a little worse by the way she was crying. I would have sat and comforted her awhile, but my mom hustled us into the light, saying we needed to check to see if she needed stitches. And, yes, indeed, there wasn't a doubt about it. When I saw this huge, dark gash on my baby's chin (likely from having cut it on the sharp wooden edges of the ramp [yes, we will be contacting the church about that]), I was pretty sure it was Armageddon. All I could think about was getting her to the hospital as fast as possible. Dustin and I pretty much flew out of there, saying, "watch Claire please! thank you!" And I didn't even leave a diaper for the #2 child, who is loved just as much, but must suffer from making her parents' brains a little mushier.

I was so anxious through this experience (while Lara fell asleep on the way to the hospital, having missed her afternoon nap, and crashing from a sugar high of cake and ice cream), that I was downright shaky and answering the nurses' questions like I was on trial and trying to keep my daughter out of prison. I took a breath and apologetically said to the nurse, "This is my first time to have this happen as a mother... so I am really worked up!"

(Naturally, Dustin was all cool and serene, attempting normal conversations, reading his book, as though getting cuts is, like, a "normal" thing or something with little kids? ;))

Lara did well. She got pretty nervous once we were in the room, and the nurses started fidgeting with her. She did all right until the doctor injected the needle of numbing medicine. That was really painful for her, and it broke my heart to hear her say, "I want Mommy! Mommy, help me!" And there was nothing I could do or say. I know from experience that that stuff does REALLY hurt (who's with me?), and I have wondered if just doing the sutures wouldn't really just feel the same! Oh, just downright terrible to do that to my daughter!!!!!!! They did two shots of it, and the second time, Lara said, "No! No! It will hurt really bad! No- mommy! Mommy, help me!"

Once that was over, Lara was over it too. She was really exhausted, but curious to see the hospital, so the nurse took us on a tour of the other rooms. Lara said she might like to work there someday. So then the doctor did the sutures, and Lara did great. A lot was asked of her, you know. They put sheets around her head, and ON her head, so only the cut was showing through a hole in the sheet. I would have been very uncomfortable with that, but Lara laid still, while we talked to her and Daddy held her hands, and I told her a story about a princess who rides a big butterfly, and flies to an enchanted tower to save a another baby princess who will be queen one day, who was imprisoned by the horrible Queen of the kingdom who wanted to be Queen forever, and how the older princess marries the baby princess' big brother. Yes, I made it up, I know I am brilliant. ;) I have named the princess Georgia, after my sister Karee, who, whenever she is asked for her name by a stranger, says her name is Georgia, because strangers can never get "Karee" right and it is more hassle than it is worth to give her correct name. :D

What a huge relief for us all to be done. Dustin took lots of before and after pictures; we wanted to document this experience really well. ;) Lara was given several stickers, a coloring book, and a nice box of crayola crayons.

The girls are currently sleeping all snug in their beds, while hopes of Mother of the Year award dances in my head. ;)

No comments:

Summer Start

Dustin and I planted tomato plants last night.  The evening was stunningly beautiful. Granted I had to put on a sweatshirt, but it was on...