Friday, February 15, 2013

Hi there!

Happy Thanksgiving, Merry Christmas, and Happy New Year, and Happy Valentine's Day, and Happy Any Other Holiday I Have Missed Since Being Absent From My Blog For The Last Few Months.

I suddenly got a hankering to update this blog and add some more life to the Copass Chronicles.  Part of this is due to having better internet now, which means I can upload pictures and videos faster than in the time it takes me to dance to Michael Jackson's "Smooth Criminal" video. 

Ahhhh, it feels good to be back!

DUSTIN
We are a very different family than when I last saw you.  For starters, something awesome has happened to my husband, but I can't tell you what yet.  I can mention it pretty soon, however, so hang in there.

HOMESCHOOL
We are 5 months into full-fledged homeschooling.  It feels a lot longer than that, but not because I don't enjoy it.  Just because it's one of those things that I can't imagine we never did without.  Sort of like having a baby.  It is going wonderful.  We just learn here.  School sort of implies sitting and listening and structure and rules and 30 minutes of math followed by 20 minutes of fun reading followed by 30 minutes of science.  I tried to do things like that and I got really frustrated by it.  We learn as we go.  We do sit down and learn, but it is very free-flowing and relaxed.  Plus, on average, we only do lessons about 3 days a week.  Crazy, I know.  But after life happens, that's usually the only time I have left to do them.  But if you could hear Lara read, see how she can spell and write on her own, see her grasp of math concepts and understanding of Biblical ideas, I think you would find that we are well on our way down a road full of challenge, creativity, and a love for learning.

Lara is 2nd grade reading (without a doubt, she is an AMAZING reader), and 1st grade, probably, with everything else.  She is fast, bright, and obedient.  A model student.  Of course, noone can bring those qualities out in a child better than his/her parents.

Claire is learning how to read.  She is very good at it.  Our girls came out of the womb ready for books, what can I say?  But she does not possess the patience for it like Lara.  Claire isn't good at sitting.  She is working on letters, and is able to write her name.  She learns a lot just listening to Lara, and it's cute to hear Claire recite the months of the year.  Claire loves to play math games while Lara does her lessons.

But in general, both girls are strong in their lessons.  There is never complaining or whining or trying to get out of anything.  They don't jump for joy when I say it's school time, that's for certain, but lessons are a part of our home life and they get that.  They don't care much for sitting down and eating supper either, but they know it's just what we do in the evenings.

We do art, also, and try to have "family art-time" after dinner.  That is when we all sit and draw together.  Who doesn't love to draw or doodle?  It's a nice catharsis, and your kids will only love to do what they see their cool parents doing.

Lara does dance (baton).  I became SO disappointed and unimpressed with Carle therapy, that I withdrew Lara from it, deciding I was just as good of a therapist as the one we had at Carle.  Dance is a supplement to exercising, and Lara does 20 minutes of therapy at home in addition to her usual running around.  Claire will start gymnastics soon.

In addition to all this, we are quite busy with playdates with friends, gatherings with homeschool groups, Bible classes (where the girls play with friends in the nursery rooms), Girl Scouts, time with family, dinners with friends, and fun outings out (Dustin just recently took Lara to a Daddy Daughter Princess Ball.) 
Suffice to say, when it comes to socialization, our kids have it made. 

The girls have a new cousin.  Introducing Avery Frances (my brother's daughter), born January 24.




 She is so cute!! Okay, until next time!





No comments:

Summer Start

Dustin and I planted tomato plants last night.  The evening was stunningly beautiful. Granted I had to put on a sweatshirt, but it was on...