Tuesday, April 19, 2011

The Bee Weekend

Today is a day for packing! We move on Monday! We're going to keep things "staged" here, but I am still planning to pack away all the little things and keep the boxes in the garage.

This past weekend was a pretty busy weekend for us (mainly Dustin). The bees arrived from Florida on Friday evening, so we headed to my parents' to pick them up on Saturday. However, the weather was much too cloudy and cold for the bees to survive, so they were kept in their packages and left on the back porch of the country house, where it was really warm. On Saturday, Dustin went to Olive Branch Apiary, once the weather warmed up, and started shaking the bees out of their packages and into the boxes. Dustin has done this before when he helped my dad, but I thought I would give my first try a go. So here is a video of me being a beginner beekeeper.
Later, a bunch of my family went out to help Dustin finish up. I'm sure it was a good bonding experience for all. :DBrother David and Dustin working the hives.

A lot of work went into getting this all ready. So many details, building, planning, and buying. Things should smooth out a little from here on out.

While all of this was going on, Lara came down with something. I spent most of Saturday with a puking, feverish girl. She was over the puking by Saturday night, but suffered from a fever for a good couple of days. Dustin came down with a fever Sunday night and was in bed all day on Monday. He is better today. He also has nine bee stings. Here are a few more pictures taken on Sunday, if you'd like to see them.

I feel that, at this point, I am just trying to hurry and survive this week. I cannot wait for life to settle down and we find our new normal. But I am still trying to enjoy this time of change and live life to it's fullest.


Claire driving at Olive Branch.

1 comment:

Marilyn said...

Jennifer,
I was swatting at bees while watching the video!! Good job!

Summer Start

Dustin and I planted tomato plants last night.  The evening was stunningly beautiful. Granted I had to put on a sweatshirt, but it was on...